Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Carduelis tristis


Goldfinch Closeup


I've been meaning to share my new tattoo here and explain why I chose a Goldfinch. I got it done at Timeless Tat2 in Bordentown, NJ, by the talented Chris Stumpf. I would've posted about it sooner (it's two and a half weeks old), but I wanted to wait for it to fully heal before taking pictures.

I've wanted an Eastern Goldfinch tattooed on me for several years now. It's the New Jersey state bird, so it's my homage to "home".

When I was little, I used to spend a lot of time in my backyard. My Mom and Nana used to have bird feeders and bird houses, so we were often visited by lots of different birds. Cardinals, Blue Jays, and Goldfinches were always my favorite to see. Their ultra vivid colors always popped out against the earth tones of the yard. I still get excited every time I see a Goldfinch -- not many animals are naturally Pikachu-colored!

So that's the story. My tattoo doesn't have a super deep meaning. It's just pretty and cute... and reminds me of my home, my family, and my childhood. And, of course, I'm eager to get more. Tattoos, like huskies, are addictive.


Goldfinch

No comments:

Post a Comment